One of the most significant endeavors undertaken by Malaspina is its archives. From its earliest days, artists renting studio space have been contributing one print from every edition to the archives.
The collection and documentation of prints produced in the studio continued until 2008 and now form a valuable historical record of printmaking in British Columbia over the past 30 years. The 1975 to 1982 section of the archives was purchased by Fei and Milton Wong and generously donated to the City of Burnaby and are housed at the Burnaby Art Gallery. Subsequently, a consortium of six art patrons purchased the archives from 1982 to 1988 and donated the collection to Simon Fraser University. Malaspina currently houses the 1988 to 2008 archive, which comprises approximately 1500 prints. Due to space constraints, we are no longer adding prints to our archives.
Image: Deborah Koenker, Meditation on Fragmentation, 1977, lithograph